Dr. Toy’s Tips for Keeping Toys Clean and Safe
- Watch for small parts, sharp edges, loose ties, or other possible dangers for small children under the age of 3.
- Be sure products are labeled “nontoxic.”
- Cover exposed electric sockets. Watch for loose electric wires and other potential household hazards.
- Toys that are handled frequently by infants and toddlers should be cleaned and disinfected daily or when soiled, to prevent the spread of germs.
Follow these steps to disinfect washable, colorfast toys:
- Wash toys in soapy water, then rinse thoroughly.
- Clean toys with a solution of 3/4 cup household bleach in 1 gallon of water. Let them stand for 5 minutes.
- Rinse completely and dry.